Blood Pressure Medication Benicar (Olmesartan) is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist used to treat high blood pressure. Benicar (Olmesartan) may also be used to treat congestive heart failure and other conditions as determined by your doctor.
The most common Benicar side effects include dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, abdominal/stomach pain, stuffy nose or stuffy sinuses, and unusual tiredness. The side effects that you may experience should be mild, but if Benicar side effects continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. In the unlikely event you experience Benicar side effects, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other Benicar side effects not listed above, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking BENICAR (Olmesartan)?
• Before taking BENICAR (Olmesartan), tell your doctor if you:
· have kidney disease;
· have liver disease;
· are on a salt-restricted diet or have high levels of potassium in your blood; or
· are taking a potassium supplement (e.g., K-Dur, Klor-Con, others), or a potassium-sparing diuretic such as amiloride (Midamor), triamterene (Dyrenium, Dyazide, Maxzide), or spironolactone (Aldactone).
• You may not be able to take BENICAR (Olmesartan), or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• BENICAR (Olmesartan) is in pregnancy category D. This means that it is known to be harmful to an unborn baby. When used during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, BENICAR (Olmesartan) can cause injury and even death to the developing baby. Do not take BENICAR (Olmesartan) if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
• It is not known whether BENICAR (Olmesartan) passes into breast milk. Do not take BENICAR (Olmesartan) without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take BENICAR (Olmesartan)?
• Take BENICAR (Olmesartan) exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
• BENICAR (Olmesartan) can be taken with or without food.
• Do not stop taking BENICAR (Olmesartan) without first talking to your doctor. If you stop taking the medication, your condition could become worse.
• Store BENICAR (Olmesartan) at room temperature away from moisture and heat.