Chemical Name : Risedronate
Actonel Information : ACTONEL (Risedronate) is a prescription medicine used:
To prevent and treat osteoporosis in postmenopausal women,
to prevent and treat osteoporosis in men and women that is caused by treatment with steroid medicines such as prednisone, to treat Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans). The treatment for Paget's disease is very different than for osteoporosis and uses a different type of ACTONEL (Risedronate). If you have Paget's Disease, ask your healthcare provider how to use ACTONEL (Risedronate).
ACTONEL (Risedronate) more loss of bone and increasing bone mass in most people who take ACTONEL (Risedronate), even though they won't be able to see or feel a difference. ACTONEL (Risedronate) helps lower the risk of breaking bones (fractures). Your health care provider may measure the thickness (density) of your bones or do other tests to check your progress.
Actonel Side Effects : Stop taking ACTONEL (Risedronate) and tell your health care provider right away if:
1) swallowing is difficult or painful,
2) you have chest pain,
3) you have very bad heartburn or it doesn't get better.
ACTONEL side effects may cause:
1) pain or trouble swallowing (dysphagia),
2) heartburn (esophagitis)
3) ulcers in your stomach and esophagus (the tube that connects the mouth and the stomach).
For patients with osteoporosis, the overall occurrence of ACTONEL side effects was similar to placebo (sugar pill) and most were either mild or moderate. The most common with ACTONEL side effects include back pain, joint pain, upset stomach, abdominal (stomach area) pain, constipation, diarrhea, gas, and headache. Tell your health care provider if you have pain or discomfort in your stomach or esophagus.
These are not all the possible ACTONEL side effects . You can ask your health care provider or pharmacist about other ACTONEL side effects.
How should I take ACTONEL(Risedronate)?
The following instructions are for both ACTONEL(Risedronate) 5-mg (daily) and ACTONEL(Risedronate) 35-mg (Once-a-Week):
1) Take ACTONEL(Risedronate) first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything except plain water.
2) Take ACTONEL(Risedronate) while you are sitting or standing up.
3) Take ACTONEL(Risedronate) with 6 to 8 ounces (about 1 cup) of plain water. Do not take ACTONEL(Risedronate) with any other drink besides plain water. Do not take ACTONEL(Risedronate) with coffee, tea, juice, milk or other dairy drinks.
4) Swallow ACTONEL(Risedronate) whole. Do not chew the tablet or keep ACTONEL(Risedronate) in your mouth to melt or dissolve.
After taking ACTONEL(Risedronate) you must wait at least 30 minutes BEFORE:
1) lying down. You may sit, stand, or do normal activities like read the newspaper or take a walk.
2) eating or drinking anything except plain water.
3) you take vitamins, calcium, or antacids. Take vitamins, calcium, and antacids at a different time of the day from when you take ACTONEL(Risedronate).
Keep taking ACTONEL(Risedronate) for as long as your health care provider tells you.
For ACTONEL(Risedronate) to treat your osteoporosis or keep you from getting osteoporosis, you have to take ACTONEL(Risedronate) as often and in the way ACTONEL(Risedronate) is prescribed.
Your healthcare provider may tell you to take calcium and vitamin D supplements and to exercise.
The generic alternative is not manufatured by the company that makes the brand product.
The content on this page has been supplied to CanDrug.com by an independent third party contracted to provide information for our website. CanDrug relies on these third parties to create and maintain this information and cannot guarantee the medical efficacy, accuracy or reliability of the information that has been provided to us. If you require any advice or information about the drugs on this page, a medical condition or treatment advice, you should always speak to a health professional. Please note that not all products, including any referenced in this page, are shipped by our affiliated Canadian Pharmacy. We affiliate with other dispensaries that ship product to our customers from the following jurisdictions: Canada, Singapore, New Zealand, Turkey, Mauritius, and United Kingdom. The items in your order maybe shipped from any of the above jurisdictions. The products are sourced from various countries as well as those listed above. Rest assured, we only affiliate with our authorized dispensaries that procure product through reliable sources.
Back to Main Drug Information Page
In addition to dispensing from our affiliated Canadian dispensing pharmacy, we also dispense your medications from international fulfillment centers that are approved by the regulatory bodies from their respective countries. CanDrug.com dispenses medications from fulfillment centers around the world including and not limited to Canada, Singapore, New Zealand, Turkey, Mauritius, and United Kingdom. All prices are in US dollars.